Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Feels Like Home (Honduras 2014, Part 5)

Let's take a minute to be real again, shall we?  With each post I write about this trip, my heart breaks a little more.  I am longing for my kids.  Longing to be in the center of God's will, where I know exactly what He wants of me.  It's taken me a little longer to write this post than the others, because visiting Melania's home was probably my favorite part of the entire trip.  It's a memory I am holding onto, knowing that my words cannot accurately describe what a beautiful afternoon it was.

When you do an individual visit with your sponsor child, the organization will typically arrange a visit to their sponsorship center, a visit to their home, and then a fun activity for you to take them to.  In our case, this was a small water park.  As previously mentioned, Bella and I shared a fun day together with our kids.  We, along with the children's' families and project staff, headed to Melania's house first.  Our driver drove us part of the way, but her house was so far back in the woods that we had to get out and walk the rest of the way.  Melania quite literally lives "over the river and through the woods"....and up some hills, through some gates, and over some rock piles...

Bella and Estefani

Dayana crossing the stream

Up a hill

These pictures do not begin to do it justice.  The view was breathtaking.  And then, we made it... 



We put on our matching shirts :)


After all of the culture shock and out-of-place feelings that being in a developing country had brought me that week, being there with that family, with the beautiful scenery around us, felt like home.  The hills in her back yard were just larger versions of the ones in my own yard back home.  There was love and joy all around us.  Melania had the biggest smile I had ever seen as she showed me around.


Proof that God is good: Melania has a banana tree!
Click
here to read about how bananas play a part in our story.

There is an enormous valley that dips off after those trees, where Melania's older brothers pick coffee beans



Between Melania's 20+ family members, and everyone we had brought with us, we had quite the crowd forming.  We all wandered around the property and talked while the family was preparing a meal in honor of our visit.  It was great to have this time with Melania in her own environment, and fellowship with everyone there.  It was like a big family reunion...


Bella and Estefani
Dayana's mother and sister

Estefani and I (photo bombed by our translator, Joel)

Some of Melania's brothers and nephews


At one point, Melania went off into the woods, and returned with some purple flowers for me.  Purple flowers are another personal reminder of God's promises in my life, which made the gift all the more beautiful.





Melania then took my hand and led me off to see her bedroom.  Honestly, there are so many times when the enemy gets to me and makes me question whether my sponsorship is really making a difference.  Walking into Melania's room, all of those questions were forever answered.  In the same way that this blog is filled with memoirs of God's work in our story, her room was equally as adorned with these things...



Her walls were covered in things I have sent to her, such as pictures and Valentine cards...





See that artwork to the right of her head?  Yeah, that's a picture she drew of me!



She also had a folder on her dresser, which held every letter I had ever sent her.  She took them out and began reciting some of the things I had written.  "You said this is your favorite song."  "This is the last letter you sent."  "This one came with a picture of you and Bella."  Folks, your kids cherish your letters!  They hang on your every word.  What a great opportunity to speak words of life!  Seeing Melania's room showed me what an impact sponsorship had made on her life.  From the pictures and letters, right down to the little tin container I brought last year that once held candy, and was too precious to her to throw away, even though it was now empty.

When we went back outside, Melania grabbed my hand and pulled me away from the rest of the group.  She did this quite a few times during our time together.  Last year, she had had me all to herself.  This year, my time was split between so many people.  And although she knew I was ultimately there for her, there were times when I would be talking to another team member, or playing with some children at the center, and Melania would sweetly grab my hand and pull me into another room to have me to herself.  Even though we could communicate very little, we would just sit together and hold hands.  We were content just being together. 

Thankfully, this time, our translator followed behind us.





We talked about God.  She told me that she had been learning to share her testimony.  She also told me she had read the book I gave her last year, which was a devotional that had love letters from God.  She told me she had memorized many of the verses, and then quoted several to me.  We talked until her mother came out and announced that lunch was ready.  They had killed their own chicken, and even walked several miles into town to purchase Pepsi (a very special treat), all on the occasion of our visit!  As we sat down and prayed over the food, Melania's mother spoke, "We know this is a humble meal, but it is from the heart."  And yes, it was one of the most beautiful meals I have ever eaten; there with my second family.


Just a few of the 30+ of us


At this point, I thought my heart was full.  Little did I know, it was only beginning.

4 comments:

  1. What a precious family and a breathtaking location! I love how you described the experience as a family reunion. Melania's wall with the stuff you sent brought tears to my eyes...thank you for taking photos. That is so encouraging as I continue to invest in my sponsored kids. I love how close you are to each other. What a wonderful gift from God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are enjoying the blogs! This was honestly one of the most beautiful days of my life. Being there with Melania's family, Estefani, and part of my team...it just felt so right. Your investment into your kids' lives mean more to them than you can probably comprehend. Make sure to read part 6, which should be up within the next day. It was the turning point of this whole trip for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel as if I am there with you! Wonderful blogs.

    ReplyDelete