Thursday, July 4, 2013

What A Joy (Honduras 2013, Part 5)

We got changed into our swim suits and headed to the ocean.  Hand in hand we walked, smiling and laughing just at the thought that we were really there together.  As I mentioned in previous entries, Melania had never been to the ocean before that day.  I figured she would be a bit timid, or at least not go very deep into the water.  Imagine my surprise when she jumped right in and immediately started riding the waves, dunking herself under, splashing (salt water in your eyes= not fun),  and continuing to swim out farther and farther into the sea!  She went so far out that the other adults in our group even refused to follow.  Figuring I should go along to make sure she didn't drown, I followed her out so far that I got stung by a jelly fish in the process of trying to keep up! 

 
 
 
 
Her laugh every time a wave came and carried her to shore brought so much joy to my heart.  Her sweet smiles as she splashed water at me confirmed time after time that I was where I needed to be.  "Come," she would say, "the water is colder the farther out you go."  So, we went...and went...and went.  When our translator wasn't near by and we had no way to communicate, we would simply laugh.  It was enough for us to just enjoy each other's presence.
 
We spent the afternoon swimming, looking for sea shells, and writing in the sand.  Melania kept trying to write my name, but the waves would wash it away before she finished.  Each time, there would be a brief look of disappointment on her face; until I started laughing, and then she would too.
 
 
Part of my name
 
 
Melania's sweet mother.  She is a widowed mother of 10 children!
 
My girl :)
 
 
Melania was having so much fun that she didn't even want to get out of the water when it came time for lunch.  We swam for a while longer, until her tutor told her that we should probably go and eat.  Lunch was served to us in a little one-room beach house filled with dining tables, just yards from the ocean.  As we waited in line for food, we noticed that our group was the only ones tracking huge piles of sand through the lunch room.  There were mounds of wet sand stuck to our shoes, and falling off all over the place.  Oops!  We laughed some more. 
 
 
 
 
At lunch, we somehow got on the subject of Melania's quinceanera (15th birthday), which is coming up next year and is a huge deal for girls in Latin America.  I had mentioned that one of the girls I know through Compassion would be coming back to Honduras for her sponsor child's 15th birthday, which is when Melania ever so sweetly reminded me that she would love it if I came back next year.  Needless to say, I have already started researching how to go about making this happen.  More on that when I have more definite plans...
 
After lunch, I told Melania that I had some more gifts for her and her family.  We made our way back to a picnic hut on the beach, where I gave her a tote that I had filled with some little things.  This was the only time of day that Melania was the least bit shy.  I could tell she didn't quite know how to respond.  Still she smiled.
 
 
 
 
Her new bible
 
 
We swam in the ocean for a while more after that.  I gave her different options of things to do, and swimming in the ocean was the only thing that seemed to interest her at all.  Then, we sat down at a table and had some great conversation while making a sun catcher craft.
 
 
 
We talked about her schooling and future plans.  She told me she would like to be a teacher and asked if I planned to go to college.  I learned about the area where she lives and about her church and sponsorship center.  She told me that she (like everyone else in Honduras) likes to play soccer.  She asked me how I chose to sponsor her, and I got to share part of the story of how God had led me to her.
 
All too soon, it was time to get changed and say our goodbyes.  As Melania was coming out of the changing rooms, my translator pointed and said, "Look what she's wearing."  Melania had changed into the dress and shoes that I had just given her that day.  Not only that, but completely by accident, I was wearing an almost identical dress. 
 
So beautiful!
 
Twins!
 
Sisters in Christ.  Always.
 
 
The end of the day had snuck up on us, and it was time to get on our busses.  We walked together as far as we could before having to go our separate ways.  We hugged, and I told Melania that I hated having to leave, but that I loved her and would be back as soon as I could.  I encouraged her to keep praying for that day.  She agreed.  I slowly walked towards my bus, turning around to wave to her every few seconds until we could not see each other any more.
 
When I got onto the bus, it was full of other crying sponsors who had reluctantly just said goodbye to their children.  I made my way to the very back of the bus and plopped down on a seat.  That really just happened, I thought. 
 
As much as I didn't want this day to end, I knew that it had been completely God-ordained.  I could go back home and look back on this whole experience, remembering His goodness.  I would forever live in awe of what He had done that day.  Rest assured, if the LORD tarries and if He allows, I will be back.


6 comments:

  1. I have loved reading about your time in Ho!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! :) Hoping there will be much more to this story in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun!! I hope that you will be able to visit her again :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! I am already starting to plan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praying for you and Melania! It was tearing at my heart strings reading about your trip. Your anticipation on meeting her and then the saying good-bye. Such an emotional day for both but your walk with the Lord is so encouraging to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for the prayers and encouragement. It was such a perfect day. I miss her a lot right now. I actually have a friend visiting Melania's Compassion center this coming week and is planning to visit her for me. I feel that this will probably be the longest week, waiting to hear about it. :) I have more blogs coming soon!

    ReplyDelete