Sunday, June 16, 2013

An Omer of Bananas (Honduras 2013, Part 1)

This is part 1 of my Honduras 2013 blogs.  God has blessed me in so many ways through this trip to Latin America to meet my 14 year old sponsor child, Melania.  Many of you have followed our story  from the start, and you definitely will not want to miss this next chapter!  I honestly could not have asked for a more God-filled week.  I would like to take you on a five part journey through my experience in Honduras; not only with Melania, but also visiting sponsorship centers, attending church, bonding with the team, and so much more. 

So yes, I am back!  As some of you know from past entries, while preparing for this trip, my mind was under attack.  Had God really told me to go to Honduras so soon?  Would the culture shock be unbearable?  Would Melania be shy?  Would she even like me?  When thoughts attacked my mind, God constantly reminded me that they were not of Him.  The bible says that God has not given us a Spirit of fear.  Regardless of what will or will not happen in our lives, the fear about those things is never of God.  I didn't need anything but to follow His lead, and He was leading me to Honduras.  That alone brought me peace. 

While in prayer, God had confirmed to me that He had big plans for the adventure I was about to go on.  That's all He ever asked anyway, that I would go with Him.  So, I prayed.  I prayed for God to go ahead of me.  I prayed for Melania, that this trip would impact her however He willed.  I prayed for health, safety, and lots and lots of ministry opportunities.  And then, I prayed a very faithful prayer- I prayed for bananas.

See, I like bananas.  A lot.  What started as a good health choice has turned into a full out obsession with this delicious fruit.  As bizarre as it sounds (and, well, probably is), I am completely addicted and didn't want to think about not having bananas for almost an entire week on this trip.  It is my breakfast every day, and my health has greatly improved.

So, imagine my surprise when I got the trip itinerary in the mail and discovered that we were going to none other than a banana plantation!  God didn’t just answer my prayer by letting there be a few bananas at the breakfast buffet at our hotel, but by bringing me to a whole plantation of bananas!  Oh, and the country that I soon would find out is considered the banana republic of the world!


Practically in Heaven at the banana plantation
 
 
As silly as it may seem, this was all the confirmation I needed that I was on the right trip.  I was now certain that God was going to work in mighty ways.  I was thrilled.  Little did I know that not only would I get to visit a banana plantation, but also....
 
 


Climb a bamboo ladder up a banana tree....
 
 
 
Trudge through a banana forest....
 
 
(My shoes did not make it out alive.)
 
 
 
 
Try banana soda (oh, and some pretty awesome tacos) ....
 
 
 
 
 
and multiple kinds of fried bananas....
 
 
 
and banana (plantain?) nachos.....
 
 
and salted banana (plantain?) chips with basically every meal
 
 
 
A fantastic start to the week showed me that God is faithful and hears our prayers.  I asked for bananas, and God certainly supplied.  I knew the rest of this journey would be amazing.

5 comments:

  1. You have loved bananas since you were a child. Bananas in Pajamas! I love your enthusiasm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha. I had no idea of your banana obsession! Cool answer to prayer :)
    MP

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy, is it sad that I Youtube searched Bananas In Pajamas just a few days ago? And thank you both! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So fun to see God's kindness to let you see His care for you! I'm looking forward to your future posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! I see now how He used this as a way of showing me that He had the rest of the trip under control, too. As you'll see in my upcoming blogs, He definitely did.

    ReplyDelete