I have this picture of Lily- an 11 year old girl who is the daughter of a family friend. In the
picture, Lily is standing at the finish line of a relay race; her arms raised
in victory. There are others in the distance. Just by looking at this picture, there is something you would probably never know. In this picture, little Lily was fighting
cancer. She passed away just months
after it was taken.
I have kept this picture because it brings me peace. It gives me perspective. It reminds me of a song I hear often. The song is called From Here by Big Daddy
Weave. The song is written from the
perspective of somebody who has passed away and gone to Heaven. The line that sticks out to me, and that I
always think of when I see this picture of Lily, is this:
“From here, the race has been won
Love’s already won
I see clearly, the end and the start”
From the viewpoint of Heaven, the race has been won. The struggle has ended. God’s love and mercy have brought you to
the finish line and given you victory over your sin and the pain that you once faced on
Earth. Another line of the song was
written as though talking to someone who is still on Earth. Although I don’t think, nor does the bible
say, that people can talk to us or see us from Heaven, I do believe that if
they could, they would say something very similar to this:
So often when I struggle with things of this world, I tend to
think, “If I could just see a glimpse of Heaven, none of this would matter. I would remember how temporary all of this
struggle is and would be reminded of what really matters.” When I hear this song and think about being
in Heaven, I am reminded of the peace and stability that we have in Christ.
Recently, God spoke something so beautiful to my heart. As I was thinking of the picture of Lily at
the finish line and wishing that I could have that glimpse of Heaven to put things
into perspective, God said, “A glimpse of
Heaven? My little lamb, I have given you
much more than a glimpse. Not only did I
send My Son down to Earth to show you much more than a glimpse of who I am, and
then die to take the punishment for your sins to save you from hell and allow
you to be re-born into My family if you so choose…but then, I put My own Spirit
inside of you, to continue to teach you about Heaven and speak to you about
Me. I did this to help you to understand
My Word when you read and hear it. I
have given you much more than a mere glimpse of Heaven, My child. It’s not a glimpse that you see with your
eyes, but rather, one that you see through the eyes of faith. Faith is the assurance of things hoped
for. It is the conviction of things not
seen. Hold on to faith with Me as your
strength. Hold on to the various glimpses
of Heaven that My Word brings to you, and know peace, My love.”
So now, as I look at Lily standing at that finish line, I will remember to run this race with the finish line in mind- eternity in Heaven. When I face trials, I will remember, as God has shown me several times lately, to run the race with Heaven as my viewpoint- and let God lead my paths to the Earthly things that He needs of me. I will also take time aside each day to gain Heavenly perspective in His Word.
No comments:
Post a Comment