Fast forward to Honduras...
After picking Estefani up at her school, we headed to Dayana's house. Dayana attends the same school as Estefani, but was at home getting ready for our visit. We walked a short distance to her home, where she was waiting at the door to greet me with a hug and a joy-filled "Hola!".
We were also greeted by her precious family.
Dayana with her mother
...and baby sister, Marilyn
If I had to describe Dayana in one word, it would be joy. Yes she is poor by our standards in the US, but she is cherished by her family. Her home is simple, but it is well kept. Many children in this community roam around unsupervised day and night, often showing up at the sponsorship center having no idea where their parents are. Meanwhile, when Dayana attends the sponsorship center, she is escorted by her mother and usually half a dozen other distant family members, while her father is out working hard to provide for them. Her family attends church together. Her parents are constantly teaching her. When you enter their home, there is no doubt about how loved their children are; the walls are covered in pictures of the girls, each one with a carefully homemade frame around it. When I began taking pictures of the photos on the wall to show to Dayana's sponsor, her mother ran and got her baby book, wanting to show me more.
This one says, "my beautiful girl"
Despite being cared for by her family, Dayana craves every ounce of love she receives from her sponsor. She is constantly thinking of her. When we were at the project later in the day and all the other children were scribbling on paper and sticking stickers, Dayana had carefully drawn a boarder around her paper and began to write a neatly-structured letter in perfect cursive to her sponsor.
The real surprise, though, comes a little later in the when Dayana's mother pointed to me, and then to Dayana's baby sister, Marilyn, and said, "Maybe you can be her sponsor some day." When I prayed over the unexpected opportunities for this trip? Unknowingly, I was praying for this...
The real surprise, though, comes a little later in the when Dayana's mother pointed to me, and then to Dayana's baby sister, Marilyn, and said, "Maybe you can be her sponsor some day." When I prayed over the unexpected opportunities for this trip? Unknowingly, I was praying for this...
Marilyn
And this...
Bonding with my borrowed child :)
After a few more home visits with other team members' children, we headed back to the sponsorship center. The majority of our team had been united with their sponsored children and were off playing with them. Bella and I sat and did artwork with Estefani and Dayana. Everything was being set up for our upcoming fun day with our kids. But where was my Melania?

I think I've teared up over every entry of your story thus far! I LOVE reading about Compassion trips (any trips, really, but Compassion especially :). God's story for our lives is so beyond anything we could dream up on our own, isn't it?
ReplyDelete~Breanne
I enjoy reading your entries about your trip a lot.
ReplyDeleteOh my, Marilyn is so cute. Is there any chance you could be her sponsor at some point?
Thank you so much Breanne! You are so right, I never could have dreamed up this plan on my own! Svea, thank you, and yes- Marilyn probably won't be registered in the program until she is 3, but I definitely plan to sponsor her at the time if at all possible!
ReplyDeleteDayana is beautiful and baby Marilyn is so adorable!!!! What an amazing family. That's such a blessing to both the family and the sponsor that you were willing to visit Dayana! Thanks for your heart to serve.
ReplyDeleteIt was a blessing to me to get to bond with this family. Dayana and Estefani are also the same age and are friends (as you will see in upcoming posts from our fun day), so it was nice for them to get to play together.
ReplyDelete